When To See An Eye Doctor For Pain

Most of us realize that pain is generally an indication that something is wrong. This is no different when you experience eye pain. Whether or not the pain is being caused by something minor and easy to treat, or something serious, you should consult your eye doctor. Because eye doctors use specialized equipment to examine your eyes, it may be difficult for them to identity what is causing your pain over the phone. This is also why your primary care physician may not be able to diagnose your eye pain.

Trauma or burns

If you have suffered trauma or burns to or close to your eyes, you should see your eye doctor immediately. If your eye doctor is not available, go to the emergency room. Many emergency rooms have ophthalmic equipment to examine eyes. Trauma to the eyes could be a puncture, burn or blow to your eye or head. It could be a foreign object in your eye or even a motor accident. Any traumatic injury involving your eyes or proximity to your eyes warrants an visit to the eye doctor.  When you make your appointment, make sure you state specifically that you’ve suffered some sort of trauma so they will schedule your appointment as soon as possible.

Foreign body sensation

The feeling like something in your eye is usually just an annoyance, like an eye lash, that goes away once whatever was in your eye makes it’s way out. However, if the feeling persists for longer than is usual when you have an eye lash in your eye, you should see your eye doctor. The sensation of a foreign body in your eye might actually be inflammation or a scratched cornea. It’s difficult to know if it is a minor scratch and deep cut or a foreign body in your eye, so it’s best to let your doctor check to find out.

Eye pain with other symptoms      

Sometimes eye pain may be associated with other discomfort or issues that should not be ignored. Conditions that could cause eye pain are acute glaucoma, conjunctivitis or other infection, uveitis or iritis. These are all serious conditions that if left untreated can damage your eye sight, and can only be treated by an eye doctor. Eye pain with redness or blurred vision should be considered serious. Additionally, eye pain with swelling, discharge, severe headache, or pain when you move your eye can be serious. If you have a loss of vision or can’t move your eye, seek medical attention. If you are not able to get immediately in to see your eye doctor, he may recommend that you go to the emergency room.

Eye pain, particularly if it persists and is accompanied by other symptoms, should not be ignored. See your eye doctor immediately.